Know Pneumo, Know The Facts
What is Pneumo?
Pneumo, or Pneumococcal disease, is a cause of serious illness. It is caused by a common bacterium, Streptococcus pneumoniae, which can attack different parts of the body. It is a major cause of illness and death, particularly among the elderly and those with a weakened immune system. 1
For further information about Pneumococcal Disease speak to your GP, Practice Nurse or other Healthcare Professional.
Watch our video series and learn more about Pneumo.
More than 500,000 people aged 65 and older may be at-risk of getting pneumo in Ireland.2, 3
Pneumococcal disease is a very serious disease. Those in the following at-risk groups should be vaccinated with PPV23.1
Everybody aged 65 years and over
Also those aged over 2 years with;
- Diabetes mellitus
- Chronic heart, respiratory or liver disease
- Chronic renal disease, nephrotic syndrome, renal transplant
- Sickle cell disease
- Those with missing or non-functioning spleens
- Disorders of the immune system including cancer
- People receiving chemotherapy or other treatments that suppress the immune system
- Persons with HIV infection or AIDS
Seven Reasons You Should Know Pneumo